Thursday, April 10, 2008

Don't Walk


I work for the wimpiest company when it comes to safety. Don’t get me wrong, safety should be an important part of our daily lives, but there’s a limit to it. Recently I was chided when I crossed the street while the “Don't Walk” sign was lit up. Not only was the road clear, but when I say there were no cars anywhere close to the intersection, what I really mean is that a disabled person using a walker could easily cross the street while walking their pet turtle on a lease behind them! But no, the corporate policy states that I stand there staring at that damn sign until it finally releases me from the electronic mental grip it has on me. Then, and ONLY then can I cross the street safely. Of course that’s assuming that all cars and buses pay attention to the red light and actually stop, but I’ll leave that for another time. So if you’re ever in my city and you see a group of people standing on a lonely corner with blank looks in their eyes as they wait for a sign to change, stop by and say, “Hello!”

No comments: