Thursday, July 9, 2009

Isn't it funny how the more things change, the more they stay the same?


When I was young, my mother use to pack my lunch for school. Bologna sandwich's some days, peanut butter on others, sometimes peanut butter and jelly, and even cheese sandwich's on occasions. The basic sandwich seemed to be a staple of my youth. Of course I had to put my foot down when Mom would pack a pimento cheese sandwich in my lunch box. That was one of the nemisis of my young culinary days. That along with Hominy and green peas. Three foods that I can't eat to this very day without envolking a gag reflex. There are other foods that have this same effect, but these are three that come to mind.

Now I'm an adult (mainly in years but not attitude), am a college graduate, own a home and have a professional career. Some days I go out for lunch and enjoy spicy Thai food. Other days I'll grab some BBQ, and even on rare occasions I might get a salad. However, with places like Subway, Jersey Mike's, and Jason's Deli close at hand, the sandwich is still very much in the forefront. Of course now as I'm trying to watch my spending like so many other people in todays economy, I'm trying to pack my lunch more often. And now as in my youth, often times I'm packing the same types of sandwich's. What was on today's menu? The tried and true, a Bologna sandwich.

Apparently some things never change...

1 comment:

nn said...

Mortadella Bologna?

No more posts?